Monday, October 13, 2014

New way of thinking!

I have always loved cooking and baking, I have shared many recipes on my blog in the past. After a recent trip to my Dr. I found I have several medical conditions that could become dangerous if I don't make some drastic changes. What I love about my Dr. is that she believes in taking the natural path verses drugs. She has put me on a very limited diet in hopes it will help my issues.
When she gave me the list of foods to avoid, I will be honest, I freaked.
No dairy, no sugar, no wheat, no fruit, no corn, no rice, no salt, no vinegar, no alcohol. I thought to myself, What the heck can I eat?
The first couple of weeks were very hard, not just on me but my poor family as well. I was irritable to say the least!
Some time has passed and my blood pressure is getting better, I have lost some weight and I am getting used to this diet.
Last night I made Quinoa and Kale Cakes and I have to be honest, they were good. My family really enjoyed them and after I posted a picture on Facebook several people have asked for the recipe. 

So first I started with the Kale, I got frozen Kale from Trader Joe's but you can also use fresh. I took half the bag and sauteed it with a little olive oil and garlic.
I added 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and one teaspoon of turmeric.
While that was sauteing I took 3 cups organic chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups Organic White Quinoa and brought it to a boil.
I place the Kale and Quinoa in a bowl and let cool.
Once cooled I added one egg and a little less than 1/4 cup of Gluten Free All Purpose Flour but you can use regular flour if Gluten isn't an issue.  
I formed them into patties used a small amount of coconut oil  and brown them.
Next I  finely chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion and just a few small silvers of jalpenho. I removed the seeds and the stems so there was very little heat.  I drizzled a small amount of red wine vinegar because I was out of fresh citrus. I than drizzled olive oil and fresh chopped cilantro. 
Since I am not allowed salt I didn't add any but my family did right at the end.
It was very good and satisfying.
 Next I am going to try baking, I will post if the recipes are a success!




No comments:

Post a Comment